For the sake of full transparency, I hate running and I’m miserable pretty much the entire time I’m doing it. I have never experienced the “runner’s high” people talk about but the closest I’ve gotten is looking back and realizing “a year ago I could not have accomplished this”.
In my opinion, music can make or break your mood while running.
Case and point – I once was in a gym and they were playing smooth jazz over the sound system…needless to say, I accomplished nothing within that hour haha.
Currently, I’m training for my first half-marathon and while that may not be “going for the gold” to some, for me it will be a huge accomplishment. As a kid, I was diagnosed with severe asthma so carrying an inhaler seemed as natural as carrying Chapstick…imagine the irony when I started smoking around 16. First of all, I know, trust me I know, but 3 years ago I quit cold-turkey and haven’t slipped up once, but as a result of the abuse the damage to my lungs had already been done.
It wasn’t easy and I had to start slow.
Long walks around my neighborhood, gorgeous hikes to local summits, but sure enough, I eventually made the move to jogging/walking 5k’s. After a few setbacks (a slipped disk, a pinched nerve, strained quad etc.) I have finally found the balance between light cross-training, running 3-4 times a week, and forcing myself to do stretches after every run. I’ve run anywhere from a 9-minute to a 14-minute mile pace, my goal has never been to be fast, my goal has always been to finish.
I’m currently using the couch-to-5k training program to give myself a solid foundation to build off of before moving back into longer runs; the program is a 30-minute run in total and includes a 5-minute warm-up walk, alternating walk/jog/run, then a 5-minute cooldown walk. My current playlist gives room for a solid shuffle so it’s longer than 30 minutes but here are my 25 go-to songs that I’m feeling right now!
**WARNING – some songs on this playlist contain strong, potentially offensive, language**
- Wait For It – Hamilton Soundtrack
- Work B**ch – Britney Spears
- Bang Bang – Jessie J, Ariana Grande, & Nicki Minaj
- Stronger – Kanye West
- Talk About You – MIKA
- Somebody Told Me – The Killers
- Run the World (Girls) – Beyoncé
- Run – Tiggs Da Author
- My Body – Young the Giant
- Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldnt Get Sued–Fall Out Boy
- Lay it Right – Speelburg
- I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers
- I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me) – Whitney Houston
- I’m Still Standing – Elton John
- Headstrong – Trapt
- Finesse (Remix) – Bruno Mars feat. Cardi B
- Dance (A$$) Remix – Big Sean feat. Nicki Minaj
- Crazy In Love – Beyonce
- Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- 6 Foot 7 Foot – Lil Wayne
- 212 – Azealia Banks
- My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark – Fall Out Boy
- Hold My Hand – Jess Glynne
- The Schuyler Sisters – Hamilton Soundtrack
All of these songs have a pretty consistent backbeat which makes it easy to pace myself; some of these songs put me in such a good mood they make me push through the discomfort. I feel like an Olympian when my jam comes on but I’m sure some drivers going by are staring curiously as the crazy girl, emphatically waving her hands while she run-dances. I’m always adding to my list and will hopefully have a solid shuffle for my half-marathon in June.
What are some of your favorite songs to get you through a workout?
Feel free to follow my running playlist on Spotify!
Sidebar: Looking at old race photos is getting me pumped for 2018 races!